Friday, November 19, 2010

How to deal with a potential alcoholic?

Here lately my husband has been consuming alcohol more than he used to. Now it takes about on average 7 beers before he starts even feeling the ';high'; you get from drinking. This scares me because I know that if you have to drink more than 3 drinks to get that ';high'; then you are on your way to a serious problem.

When he gets alcohol he will pretty much drink until its gone. Its not like he will have a drink or two he will do his best to finish them all off, then expect to be able to get more the next day. It seems like since he has turned 21, Oct 21 he has had a drink EVERYDAY now! When we go to social gatherings where there is alcohol he will drink ridiculous amounts of alcohol. The only problem is he is GREAT at controlling his alcohol around other people, so sometimes I really don't think much about it. Once we get home, that is another story. It seems like once his foot lands in the front door he is on his way to pass out!

I have told him that his drinking is getting out of control and that I want him to stop but it seems like I am just talking to a wall!

I am 13 weeks pregnant and I know that I am more emotional than usual, but it seems like he has started being VERY mean to me. Emotionally I feel like I have a good grip on my emotions still, but I really do feel that here lately he has become very abusive towards me. I am worried that it might be the alcohol doing this. Normally he was really sweet and we NEVER argued or fought, but now it seems like a weekly occurrence.

Someone please help me out and let me know what is going on and maybe what I can do to help him. I love him and I want him to be around for our baby!How to deal with a potential alcoholic?
You can't force an alcoholic to stop drinking. He is going to have to want to.

But for you, I highly suggest Al-anon.

Here is their website:

http://www.al-anon.org/



Please get in touch with an Al-anon group near you. There are individuals in those meetings that have gone through and still going through the very same things you are experiencing. The support and advice you will recieve there is better than anything anyone on this site can give you.



Good Luck.How to deal with a potential alcoholic?
Can you take him to Counseling? Maybe he is stressed out something. I think he is drinking alcohol to make something go away.
It sounds like he is drinking to escape stress.

21 is pretty young to be expecting a baby together.

You say you're a soldiers wife,has he seen active service or is he in line to be called up?



I think you need to ask him if something is stressing him,don't make a huge deal of it and pick your time.

Don't make him feel cornered or nagged.

The easiest point to make would be the recommended weekly units which he is getting close to in one night.

That's the definition of binge drinking.

Also if your pregnant it's pretty insensitive for him to be drinking at all when you can't.

He needs to face up to things.

Perhaps you could plan some things like a nice meal or cooking together which would make the evening about something else.

He's going to need some skills soon anyway.

Stand up for yourself.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment