Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I deal with guilt from moving away from my alcoholic mom?

I'm 28 and I'm moving to Texas for law school in one month. The only problem is that I feel so guilty for leaving my mother alone. She's an alcoholic and refuses to get help. Plus she's retired, so she has nothing to do all day which compounds the problem. On 3 separate occasions I've forced her to go to rehab, and each time she began drinking once she got out. I know ';you can't help someone unless they want help,'; but isn't it my responsibility as a daughter to act in her best interest? I just believe that there are times when you have to make the decision for your loved one, when they are hurting themselves and won't seek help.



Being accepted to law school is my dream come true. Of course I want to go, but I just feel so bad for leaving her. I'm not worried about my dad, because he has my stepmom to take care of him and keep him company. He still works and has a full life. My mom, on the other hand, just sits in the house all day. It's a project just to get her to go out.How do I deal with guilt from moving away from my alcoholic mom?
You need to get some counseling for Adult Children of Alcoholics...yeah, its a real thing. If you keep compromising your life for your mom's addiction you will find yourself just sitting alone in your house all day too.



This does not mean you cannot help her, but until you stop helping her she is never going to help herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment