Sunday, December 11, 2011

I am 35 weeks pregnant and my husband has been put into a mental institution. Is there hope?

My husband used to be a real sweetie when I met him three years ago, but little by little all these things came out into the open. First, I found out that he was an alcoholic, then after dealing with that, it is though enough on its own, because he behaves totally erratic when he drinks. He cannot handle stress one bit. He is a medical resident and has already been kicked out of his first residency program. Back in March, when this happened, he completely lost it and went driving under the influence of Ambien and Vodka and got into two car accidents. He tried to jump out a window and smashed his head through a windshield. To top it off, he started screaming at me at target and take fun of me because I was constipated in front of a whole bunch of customers. All this while I was pregnant. He was on bipolar medication since March, but none of it worked and today he went off the deep end again collapsed after driving under the influence of who knows what and was put back into the mental institution. They are not quite sure if he truly is bipolar, because he pretty much only has the characteristics when he is under the influence of something. He just cannot handle stress at all. He said that he was not happy about the baby because he is not even sure how he will support her since he might not have a job anymore. All of this is causing so much distress to me. I had ZERO support from him throughout this pregnancy. I feel so lonely and hopeless and have done so much to better his situation but he is back on square on. Can he be helped?I am 35 weeks pregnant and my husband has been put into a mental institution. Is there hope?
Please understand that you cannot count on him for anything. Let him work his program try to help when he can, but you must take care of yourself and your baby. You cannot do that while you are taking care of him too. Go to alanon at least every week for the next year. Join Nami and attend their family to family program to learn about bipolar illness and dual diagnosis. Life is hard, but you can make it. Unfortunately, your child has about a 25 to 60% chance of growing up to have similar problems as your husband. But fortunately there is a 40 to 75% chance the child will not have those issues. Good luck to you. You will be alright if you are not afraid to accept help from people.I am 35 weeks pregnant and my husband has been put into a mental institution. Is there hope?
its sad some one is ill but i believe if he does what the dr. says he should be ok and a lot of praying
Time to get on a bus and start a new life somewhere else.
Happened to my dad, he is back and all is good.
Forget about him like you said he is now in the institution. Right now you should be trying to make sure you and the baby are ok. If you are sad it will have ill effects on you and the baby after it is born. i am not saying that you should totally forget about him but I would try to make her have a safe home.

No comments:

Post a Comment