Sunday, December 11, 2011

How do I deal with my boyfriend who is a recovering drug addict / alcoholic?

My boyfriend has a history of being really bad on drugs. He wasn't necessarily an alcoholic because his main problem was with prescription drugs.



We have been together for a year now and he is really trying. I know it is hard to recover when you basically used drugs every single day from the time you woke up til the time you went to bed.



The problem is that every once in awhile he will just slip up and do something like get high or get drunk with his friends. I KNOW he wants to stay away from all of that but he just seems to give in to temptation every single time.



I love this guy and we both want to get married but I am so scared of getting stuck in a relationship and him having these same issues for the rest of our lives and I do not want to have a broken home with problems like this. I'm scared he will continue to have the problems and urges that he does now.



Please I just need some advice.How do I deal with my boyfriend who is a recovering drug addict / alcoholic?
If he's still spending time with the people he did drugs with that's his first mistake. In order to have a successful recovery, the addict must change his behavior. He can't go to places where there will be drugs or alcohol and he can't spend time with others that are still drinking and getting high. If his behavior hasn't changed then he will always have relapses. He should know better and if he does know better and still doesn't change then he's lying to you about wanting to recover, not to mention that he's lying to himself. When he changes his habits, druggie friends and his behavior then you'll know he's serious about recovery. Until that time you can best believe, his addiction still has a hold of him instead of the other way around. Trust. ';-)How do I deal with my boyfriend who is a recovering drug addict / alcoholic?
Not much you can do but support and encourage him, while trying to keep temptation away from him. Ultimately, he needs to find the willpower to stay clean. Until he can do that consistently, do NOT get married.
Well, I think it is critical to think realistically when you are considering marrying someone. This is a HUGE decision and there is a lot more involved than love...there really is. One thing you absolutely need to consider is whether or not your potential mate is an active drug addict or alcoholic. If he is, then, in my opinion, he is not marriage material; and I would not consider marrying him unless he is no longer addicted--at about 5 years of abstinence. And, I say this as a recovered alcoholic myself. Even though I fully ';understand';, I would never in a million years put myself through a marriage like that. Never. It would be hell.
  • heatsink mount to
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment