Sunday, December 11, 2011

Do u live with an alcoholic, is it wrecking your lives and how do you deal with it if they will not go to AA?

noDo u live with an alcoholic, is it wrecking your lives and how do you deal with it if they will not go to AA?
Introduce them to your foot or the front door!! Their choice. GOOD LUCK!!Do u live with an alcoholic, is it wrecking your lives and how do you deal with it if they will not go to AA?
Do an Intervention.



Bring in family and friends and possibly somebody from AA. The more support you can get now the better.







P
...first... protect yourself.... go to Alanon... call Alanon.. ';they'; will beging to help YOU... you can't help an active alcoholic who is not in crisis... if you are allowing the ';drunk'; to just hang out at home, eat, drink, sleep, do their laundry, yell, scream and moan; you've got to get help for yourself... if he's over 21, put the drunk out...change the locks on the doors and point him to the Salvation Army for a bedroom and a hot meal... No one ever said dealing with an active drunk is easy... now..go find a copy of the Bible... yes, ';that'; Book... go to the Book of Numbers and look up... Numbers, Chapter 6 vs. 24, 25 and 26.
Alcoholics never admit to the fact that they have an addiction and therefore the minority of them won't seek help.

It can cause stress and depression for both partners.

It's verd hard to live with someone who has this - I can relate. The only thing that helped was counselling.
I am a recovering alcoholic with nine years sobriety by God's grace and if you are currently living with an alcoholic I hate to tell you this but he or she will not get help until they can admit they have a problem and are willing to do something about it. My father begged me on his deathbed to get help and as much as I loved him I wouldn't do it because I didn't want to admit I had a problem and that alcohol was kicking my butt.

I did not get help until I hit what is known as a bottom. A girl I was living with threw me out of our house and took up with another man. I got drunk, came to the house and threatened them and got arrested. I was in the military at this time and spent a lot of money trying to keep the problem away from the military (had they found out, I might have gotten kicked out). I was morally, financially, and spiritually bankrupt when I walked into my first AA meeting. I was tired and finally ready to surrender.

My advice is keep praying for your loved one to hit bottom. That was what it took to get me and most others into the rooms.

I also suggest that you try Al Anon. It is an organization made up of families of alcoholics. They can give you some good advice and help you deal with it. My prayers and best wishes to you.
I married for the second time in July last year to a alcoholic and drug addict, he gave me all the promises in the world and now he is in jail for the third time since we have been married. I have given him every support poss, since our marriage he has been home 2mths total.I tried to get him to AA but no he would not go, the last episode two weeks ago I thought he was going to kill me, I did not want to call the police but am at my wits end. He also suffers schizophrenia, which I believe was pot smoking induced . I have begged for some kind of help for him, and this time I am working on getting him sectioned and into Morrisette rehab for at least a year. It is breaking my heart , I just want to see him well and happy. I am myself a recovering alcoholic and it is thru the fellowship of AA that I am still alive today. You are welcome to email me at judebear06@yahoo.com.au
Why are you setting your hopes on such a looser?

Why do you think this is all you deserve?

Just because at the moment he is the only one that gives you at least a little bit of love once in awhile. Does not mean that you should stay with him. Dump his sick A$$, you were not put on this earth to waste your life trying to ';fix'; him. There are decent men out there that would truly love you with out the baggage. Only the first step will be the hardest,
Oh wow, what a question! My mother has been a alcohloic for as long as I can remember. I do not see her anymore because she choose booze over me and drove me away with her constant feeling sorry for herself and not doing anything about it. She blamed her drinking on her past but would not get counselling to sort her head out. We spent months arguing with her, pleading and begging her to please go to AA. She booked and appointment and then her friend, who is also a drunk, called her and said that AA had chucked her out because she was drunk - so my mother cancelled her meeting!!! Infuriating. I know how emotionally draining it is dealing with a drunk and even now, when I am with my fiance and he gets drunk and I am sober (through choice, sometimes I don't feel the need to drink) I get nervous because I know how out of control he is and I hate it. My mother, who was mothered by me more than the other way around, took away the best years of my life, I gave up uni becuase she begged me to stay and look after my little brother and I stupidly gave in. When most of my friends were out clubbing I was cleaning my mother up after another session. I walked away from her when I met my fiance, who she took a dislike to, because I knew that if I did not start living my life for me, I would have lost all hope of a life and love, having a marriage and kids of my own. The only thing she taught me was that I knew I would never treat my kids the way she treated us. People think I am cruel to walk away but as my friends keep saying, I did the right thing for me. Sometime, a drunk is a lost cause, you cannot help someone who does not want to help themseleves. This does not stop me feeling guilty every day for leaving her and starting my own life.
You cant do much until the person you're talking about wants to help themselves. Because I work 84 hours a week and provide for my family I thought I was a really good dad and partner. It was'nt until I started coming in from work and my 8 year old daughter would be stood there with a can open ready for me that I realised how bad I had got. I was drinking 24 cans a night 7 nights a week. The point I'm getting at is, it was'nt until I could see myself how bad I had got and what was more important to me i.e. my wife and kids, that I registered with AA of my own achord. I am now totally alcohol free and a better person for it but if anyone had told me at the time to go to AA I would have spent more time proving to them I did'nt need to go and less time realising the problem and doing anything about it. I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment